Bridgewater State University is looking for a Field Hockey Coach in Bridgewater, MA
From Bridgewater State Universitys inception in 1840 by Horace Mann as one of the first normal schools in America to the current day, BSU has worked to ensure that our students receive an accessible, affordable, and exceptional education. BSU aspires to be the leader in our mission class for closing equity gaps for Black/Cape Verdean, Latinx, Native American, Asian, and other students of color. BSUs institutional values, the work of the Presidents Special Task Force on Racial Justice, and leadership of the Leading for Change Higher Education Diversity Consortium underscore the campus commitment to racial equity and other forms of social justice.
It is the mission of the Department of Athletics and Recreation at Bridgewater State University to provide varsity, intramural, club and recreational activities to address the needs, interests and capabilities of our students, faculty and staff. All activities are conducted with fair sportsmanlike principles for men and women as mandated by our various sports governing bodies. With service to our campus as a priority, our activities are intended to enhance and be a vital part of the total collegiate experience for all participants.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Plan, direct and supervise all aspect of the Intramural sports program including special event recreational activities. Promote intramurals and recreation throughout all summer orientation sessions. Oversee the day-to-day operations of the intercollegiate athletic team, including teaching skills and strategies for the specific sport during practice and games in the traditional and non-traditional seasons.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Associate Director of Athletics and Recreation for Operations
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervision over professional, subordinate classified, and student personnel assigned to the area.
This position is an exempt, APA unit position and is subject to the terms of that union agreement.
Position Type: APA Professional
CORE DUTIES – Intramural Coordinator (40%)
- Plan, direct and supervise all aspects of the Intramural Sports Program, and other Recreational Activities.
- Assist the Campus Recreation Supervisor with the administration of Intramural and Recreation Programs
- Assist the Office of Equal Opportunity /Title IX Coordinator office as a responsible employee with regard to incidents of sexual or gender-based harm or discrimination.
- Hire, schedule, train and supervise Intramural Sports Student Staff
- Responsible for preparation and management of annual Intramural Sports budget, and manage recreational income
- Develop and implement promotional activities including summer orientation to enhance participation in intramurals and recreation
- Coordinate new student orientation programming, with the offices of New Student and Family Programs and the Office for Student Involvement and Leadership
- Maintain Statistical Participation Data for annual reporting
- Maintain Intramural Sports web pages daily
- Develop and implement an ongoing, program specific Assessment Plan
- Communicate with Associate Director of Athletics and Recreation Operations in facility usage and scheduling.
- Plan and implement assessment efforts that inform data driven decision making for the program, services, and activities within your core duties.
- Develop and implement intentional programs, services and activities within your core duties that will meet the unique needs of all student populations.
- Utilize diversity and social justice practices to promote student success as it relates to your core duties.
CORE DUTIES – Coaching (65%)
- Oversee and coordinate the day-to-day operations of the athletic team, including teaching skills and strategies for the specific sport during practice and games in the traditional and non-traditional seasons.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive recruiting plan to develop a highly competitive team.
- Organize and direct a comprehensive student-athlete support program including promotion of the program, leadership development and student-athlete motivation through programs such as Freshman Workshops, Bear UP! and SAAC.
- Hire, supervise and evaluate assistant and volunteer coaches.
- Communicate regularly with related areas including administration, program operations and sports medicine regarding practice, roster management, compliance, etc.
- Participate in department and university meetings, trainings and functions as required.
- Participate in program-wide fundraising initiatives as required.
- Adhere to and support all rules, conditions and regulations as set forth by Bridgewater State University, Conference affiliations and the National Collegiate Athletic Association pertaining to all aspects of the teams management.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Commitment to customer service excellence/support to enhance an environment of equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Passion for and commitment to social justice, racial justice, and civic engagement.
- Bachelors Degree and 1-2 years of related experience
- 2-3 years of coaching on the high school or college level
- Ability to create and execute policies and procedures for enhanced institutional control consistent with NCAA, University and Conference governance
- Ability to maintain files accurately and prepare records and reports and maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to determine appropriate courses of action and utilize proper techniques to ensure accountability with team recruiting goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences (i.e., students, parents, faculty, staff, alumni, administration, and community)
- Ability to organize, prioritize, administer, and supervise multiple tasks and programs simultaneously within a collegiate athletic department.
- Ability to work evening, weekends, and holidays as playing and practice season schedule dictates.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. with appropriate accommodation.
- Masters degree in related field and 3-5 years of successful coaching on the college level
- Experience with FrontRush recruiting software.
- Familiarity with student information software networks such as BANNER, COLLEAGUE, etc.
- Valid U.S. drivers license preferred.
Salary Range: $50,000.00-$55,000.00
Posting Number: S00745P